To Shine or Not to Shine

To Shine or Not to Shine


I'm sure the question above has crossed everyone's mind at some point, as it reflects our shared desire for success in both our personal and professional lives. While the journey of choosing a major, obtaining a degree, and pursuing job opportunities may seem overwhelming, the motivation to shine propels us forward and helps us make progress in life. It pushes us to acquire new skills, go the extra mile, win over hiring managers, and secure the job we desire. As new employees, we feel excited and eager to take on new challenges, waking up every day with the determination to shine brightly in our roles. We strive to impress our bosses and coworkers, going above and beyond in our efforts.

However, this initial enthusiasm may wane after a few months, depending on factors like our position, manager, or team dynamics. If we lack self-motivation at work, attendance issues may arise, and our performance could suffer, leading us to question whether to stay or leave.

Welcome to the real world – a place where challenging life and career decisions are routine. While choosing where to work and what path to follow is the first step towards a successful career, it is the day-to-day decision of how much we want to shine that truly determines our success. The choice is ours – to keep shining or to fall into a cycle of complaining and dissatisfaction.

I've come to realize the importance of asking myself the question "To shine or not to shine?" in everything I do, every single day. When my answer is a resounding "Yes, I want to shine!" I remain focused and motivated throughout the day, and my productivity soars. However, this wasn't always the case for me, and I had to learn this lesson the hard way. To overcome this challenge, I studied other Shining Stars in my field and pondered why some individuals excel, being accountable and radiating brilliance. This quest to be the best version of myself led me to create the Shining Stars Success System (4S).

Let me share a few lessons I've learned that I hope will encourage you to shine even more:

1. Take charge and be your own boss. Assess your performance daily by asking yourself, "How was my performance yesterday? How is it today?"

2. Set daily goals and organize your activities accordingly. Continually ask yourself, "Is there anything else I can do to shine more in my job?"

3. Prioritize your tasks and focus on the most critical ones first. Once you've completed them successfully, mark them as complete and reward yourself. Acknowledge your accomplishments, even in the absence of external praise. If you find yourself stuck on a challenging task, try Brian Tracy's brainstorming strategy. Ask yourself twenty questions about how you can make the task successful and jot down potential solutions that flow from your mind. Remember, we are all smarter than we often give ourselves credit for!

4. Whether working for someone else or running your own business, remember that success and shining in your career and life require organization, adaptability, and a willingness to go the extra mile.

Wishing you peace and encouragement on your journey. Keep shining like a star in both your career and life!


Nafije Prishtina, CPC, Success in Life and Business Coach


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Good Life

How’s Your Communication Style Serving YOU?

Shine Bright in 2024 with 4S: A Practical Guide to Goal Setting and Success