The Art of Mindfulness Based Public Speaking

The Art of Mindfulness Based Public Speaking


“You do public speaking, as if you're talking to one person in a room.”
- Ralph Smedley, Founder of Toastmasters International

Written by, Nafije Prishtina & Kathy Shabotynskyj

I am grateful to be a fluent speaker of two languages. Having mastered English and becoming a successful leader in a very different culture, makes me especially grateful. When it comes to public speaking I still struggle. One reason is that I get uncomfortable when the right words do not come to me. For example, if I want to say something fast, I feel like people do not understand what I say, and when I speak soft, to ensure the words are clear I bore people to death. For these reasons and more I decided to set a goal to improve my public speaking skills. I found and joined the best club in town, South Beach Toastmasters, where I currently serve as the club President.
Becoming a member of the Toastmasters International was one of my best decisions. Recognized as one of the best public speaking and leadership training programs, the tools they provide encouraged me to step up and speak as much as I want. The built in evaluation process is phenomenal; helping me learn a great amount in a short time. I feel much more comfortable speaking in public now.

Today I'd like to share with you some Mindfulness Based skills for public speaking that I have learned over the years. The first is that you are not the only one who is nervous about public speaking. People from school and work often were heard complaining about public speaking, but what I did not know is that 89% of the population fears public speaking. Research also shows that public speaking is one of the most dreaded experiences. This gave me some relief and motivated me even more to continue my research on the topic and I cannot wait to share my findings. 

The great news is that you actually don’t have to live life in fear, what you can do instead is learn and adopt mindfulness based ways to practice speaking in front of an audience. You can also  overcome the anxiety of public speaking by just changing your perception about public speaking altogether. 

According to the philosophy of language, Public speaking is explained as a cognitive ability to communicate in public (people around you). You all do it, all the time. (Babies start public speaking as early as one year old.) Public speaking does not have to be so scary; you all do public speaking when YOU TALK TO OTHER PEOPLE AND ANIMALS. My recommendation is, you need to stop fighting the fear and remember THE GOAL FOR US as leaders IS TO ENHANCE THE PUBLIC SPEAKING SKILLS to be able to influence the audience with our words.  

I would like to explain three important skills in a more detailed –a more mindfulness based way. Those three skills are basic, and you all learned them at some point in your life and my goal is to give you some mindfulness based ways to improve those three skills.

1
st. WRITING YOUR SPEECH
Let’s start by how you go about writing a speech. For you to do a good job writing a speech, you must pick a subject that is close to your heart; a topic you really care about so you can own it.  You start thinking about topics that interest you such as: things that you want to learn more about and that you would like to share with others so other people can benefit from your knowledge. Write down your speech, and actually it is preferred to HANDWRITE the first draft instead of typing, because handwriting helps you make special mind/body connections. Organize your speech into three main parts: Introduction (Intro), Body, and Conclusion. According to Toastmasters Pathway training, the goal of the Intro is to tell the audience “What you are going to tell them,” the body paragraph should include the main points “the meat and potatoes of what you are sharing”, and the conclusion should sum up everything , “remind them what you’ve told them.”

2
nd REHEARSING THE SPEECH
Once the speech is written, the next step is rehearsing the speech. Rehearsing helps us to prepare for vocalization and memorization for effectively communicating your subject. You prepare speaking by verbally reading, I guess, just like with any other skill, practice is what helps you improve your skills so you can perform at your best of your abilities. Now the best way to practice your presentation is by incorporating as many senses as possible. We talked about writing the speech by hand to make the brain and body connection by touching the pen and paper. Now, you start reading your speech, using your verbalizing and language abilities. Read the speech out loud as many times as you need to, until you start memorizing the main parts of the speech and it becomes more natural for you. 

  • You can rehearse your presentations by recording yourself and listening to your voice. This way you can critique your own speech, 
  • You can rehearse in front of the mirror, and this will help you see your favorite facial expressions, your voice, variety and just the body language 
  • Overall, rehearse your speech by using your imagination. Imagine that you are in front of the public by creating a mental picture of the best version of yourselves, standing calm and confident in front of the audience, and visualize your audience smiling and enjoying your amazing speech. 

3rd PREPARING AND GIVING YOUR SPEECH
Mindfulness will truly make the difference in your public speaking. When preparing to give the speech, you can re-frame your nervousness as excitement. The more emotion you give to your preparation, the better it will get.  Something that helps you with putting more emotion to your rehearsal is by saying positive affirmations. Such as I love myself, I love that my brain always supports me, I do my best in everything that I do. You prepare your body by eating healthy protein based diet and possibly doing some light exercising. Distressing your body with good food and exercise will help you manage yourself better. With basic necessities out of the way, your brain will be working at an optimum level. 
During the speech, do your best to present your prepared speech. Keep good posture, relaxed knees and you breathe through your nose, one moment at a time. Focus on giving….and sharing. Your voice is a gift of its own. And most importantly, remember Ralph Smedley’s words of wisdom; “do public speaking, as if you're talking to one person in a room.”

Career Coach Kathy Shabotynskyj’s Insight
I love public speaking and Toastmasters International. Nafije’s tips on mindfulness practices will really improve anyone’s public speaking skills.

In your career, you are always judged by your communication skills. Participating in a Toastmasters club will build your public speaking, leadership and networking skills. When I am recruiting and see Toastmasters as an activity on a resume, I assume this person went the extra mile to improve their communications. It is one way to distinguish yourself from the competition. 

Toastmasters also has a Leadership Development track. I am a proud Toastmaster who earned the Competent Communicator and Competent Leader designations. Looking back when I was an active Toastmaster, nearly twenty years ago, I remember my efforts, my public speaking growth and most importantly, the wonderful people who participated in my club. We had a special club, started by the father of public speaking, Bill Gove (RIP) and his partner, Steve Siebold, an international professional speaker and author. The club still exists in Boynton Beach, it is the eponymous Bill Gove Golden Gavel Toastmasters and many of my fellow charter members remain active today. If I did not move 50 miles away, I’m sure I would still be attending. 

If you want to find a new initiative to advance your career or to ace every interview, explore Toastmasters International for public speaking and leadership training. I guaranty you will find an assortment of like-minded individuals who will support your growth and ask you to do the same for them. You’ll find a link below to find a local Toastmaster club. If your area does not have a club that meets at a convenient time, Toastmasters also offers online-only clubs.

Our blogs help you shine from the inside out – this blog on the art The Art of Mindfulness Based Public Speaking will help you prepare and excel at public speaking. We all have gifts to share and light to shed in this world. We hope you will use this blog as inspiration and will be shining fully from the inside out.
Please share this blog with your friends and relatives and be sure to let us know how you are shining from the inside out. If you want to see the vault of earlier blogs: https://www.shiningstarsconnect.com/blogger
If you would like to explore how a Career or Life Coach can help you achieve greater success, please call or email:

Life Coach Nafije Prishtina: 616-304-1936; npristina@gmail.com
Career Coach Kathy Shabotynskyj: 772-486-7781; kathy@mycareerteam.com


Other Resources:
See this great article on the Benefits of Public Speaking

Find a Toastmasters Club near you.

Read Steve Siebold,  case study in a successful public speaker

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Good Life

How’s Your Communication Style Serving YOU?

Shine Bright in 2024 with 4S: A Practical Guide to Goal Setting and Success