It Starts with ME

 

It Starts with ME!

Career Coach Kathy Shabotynskyj


“If you wanna make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and make a change. “

Michael Jackson’s song: Man in the Mirror

Remember the safety announcements on all flights, back when we travelled on commercial aircraft? The briefer indicated that in case oxygen is required, you must put the oxygen mask on yourself first and then help your children. The reasoning is that if you cannot breathe you cannot survive and won’t be capable of saving anyone else.

It is true for emergencies and true for everyday life – survival, progress and promise start with YOU. It starts with ME! I cannot be a good Career Coach, business leader or friend if I don’t have enough oxygen to breathe. You cannot achieve success if you don’t have the oxygen you need to breathe.

The first question to answer is: What is your oxygen, followed by, how do you make more of it? Your oxygen is what motivates you to get out of bed – your WHY? If you have dreams and goals, they are your oxygen. Now, how do you make the oxygen that will propel your success?

Good habits will serve up the air you need to succeed. Eating healthy foods. Getting a good night’s sleep. Daily Exercise. These three simple tasks will fuel your body and your mind.  Master these three habits and you have a solid foundation for success.

Now, get out of your comfort zone and push toward the growth zone to catapult your success. Take a close look at your goals and map out a plan to move closer to each of your goals. Do this in a dedicated planning session with yourself or others. Life Coach Nafije Prishtina and I facilitate a weekly group coaching call, providing the structure, inspiration, and training to help our members (Shining Stars) define their goals, measure their progress, and move closer to their dreams– all in one hour per week. You will shine from the inside out when you participate in the Shining Stars Connect Coaching Circle while building new habits that will bring quicker progress. Whichever path you choose to evaluate and measure your progress, you will be making new oxygen. Reviewing your progress reinforces your activities are positive while you are moving forward toward your goals. Progress begets progress. Your level of inspiration and energy rise along with your progress, like a downhill snowball gaining momentum and mass.

One of my newest habits is my 2021 Mantra (see*belowe). It is a bit long for a mantra, and you are free to use mine if it speaks to you. When I recite it, I feel energized and inspired. Is there something you could say each morning that will help build your enthusiasm? Write it – Say it! Make it a habit.

One of my clients this week told me she would be happy if she just had a job. She believed her happiness was dependent on her work situation, although she wasn’t happy even though she had already found a temporary job. My belief, that I shared with this 65-year-old client is that you must first be happy and then you will find a good job. Sometimes it is all about your mindset. I knew my client’s mindset shifted due to our coaching session. With many challenges facing this client, at the end of our time she thanked me for showing her a different perspective. A short amount of time together left her with a brighter outlook and clearer direction. (Each of my coaching clients inspire me and that is why I love being a Career Coach.)

You oversee you – and it is your greatest responsibility in life to ensure your health and happiness. YOU FIRST! Success will not find the unhealthy or the unhappy.

Generating your own enthusiasm and inspiration will ensure your success. Energy and inspiration are oxygen that can propel you closer to your goals.  Create habits that will contribute to your overall wellbeing. Good habits that feed your body, mind and spirit will serve you for your entire career and life.

 

*2021 Mantra Adapted for Shining Stars Connect Coaching Circle from the poem “Be Inspired” from Tiffany Prochera (November 20 Coaching Circle Inspiration)


May I be inspired today.
May I be encouraged to travel my path with sure feet, confident in my direction.
May I be spurred on to explore, to face the challenge, to go to the next level.
May I experience many moments when I want to stand up and shout, Huzzah!

How grand this life is, and I want more of it!
May I fall asleep exhausted but giddy with anticipation for what is to come, as though I cannot wait until the morning to continue the adventure, to see what glorious miracles are going to occur.

And finally, may I realize my own power to create such a day and such a life; I truly possess the power to make it so.

I am going to have an exciting and inspiring day!


Career Coach Kathy Shabotynskyj has been helping job seekers for 20 years. After 13 years in non-profit leadership roles, Kathy trained with Right Management Consultants in all phases of career transition. Thousands of job seekers have landed their dream jobs after one-on-one coaching, expert resume writing or workshops with Career Coach Kathy. In 2009 Kathy co-authored How to Find a GOOD Job in 90 Days, The 5 Step Guide to a Successful Job Search. If your career needs a boost, send a note: kathy@mycareerteam.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Good Life

How’s Your Communication Style Serving YOU?

Shine Bright in 2024 with 4S: A Practical Guide to Goal Setting and Success